Thursday, January 12, 2012

Press the words...

First off I would like to clarify I am not a full time pro web designer. It's a freelance thing I do for artists and entertainers. I won't do lawyer or accountant websites because they are just dull as hell. That being said...

Wordpress can eat my ass.

I can spot a Wordpress website from across the internet. They reek of template. I don't care how good the CMS might be, it's to webdesign what macbooks are to soccer moms. It removes pretty much any hope of artistic design and tries to put it, literally, in a nice neat little rule of 960 box.

Sure I have seen some pretty nice WP sites and a few that don't look like a WP site... at first. However, most eventually fall prey to the blog style format that people think is so "modern". Modern is another word for "Now you can be an individual just like everyone else!"

It has it's uses. If someone asks you to design them something and you don't wanna do any actual work. They are great. There are so many templates (that are easy to fuck up just by altering one little) that you have tons of options to appease even the most jaded idiot who knows nothing about design.

Personally I would rather have a website that has a little heart and soul to it. Not some cold empty shell of a space on the internet that is as interesting as watching 3 year olds eat paint chips.

With that said I can move on to other subjects down the road. Stay tuned for the next stop.

2 comments:

Trickster said...

"We are all individuals"

"I'm not!"

Pix Smith said...

Here's my beef -- sites that have to be scrolled to see everything.

Can't designers figure out it's a good idea to add a bit of headroom to the left and right sides of the page? I hate running a browser full screen, and I hate having to scroll left and right to read what's written.

I think I'll go get my pitchfork and torch now, and do me some surfing.

Great idea to do this, I am adding it to my read with Websites that suck.